If you’re looking for a delicious way to introduce your baby to fish, look no further than this creamy and comforting dish!
Fish is a great source of protein and Omega-3s (essential for brain development amongst other things). Buy the best salmon you can afford – be conscious that too much fish could be a bad thing due to things like mercury levels etc.
Giving your little one fish twice a week is the perfect amount to reap the benefits.
For the sauce
1 fillet of salmon (approx. 155g)
360ml whole milk
30g unsalted butter
30g plain flour
4 broccoli florets
2 tbsp of tinned sweetcorn (pref the low salt ones)
For the mash
55g mature cheddar cheese, grated
300g potatoes, peeled and diced
40ml whole milk (or enough to make your mash smooth)
- Pop the fillet into a pan and cover with the milk, bringing it to a boil. (I took the skin off of the fillet first but you can also do this after it’s cooked). Reduce the heat to a simmer and allow to cook for 10-15mins till it’s cooked through and flakes easily.
- Use a slotted spoon or what-have-you to take the cooked salmon out of the pan and reserve the milk – you’ll need it for the cheesey sauce!
- Once the salmon has cooled to the touch, make it baby-friendly and remove the skin and flake into small pieces, remove any bones.
- Make the mash – add your potatoes to a pan and heat up to boiling. Reduce to simmer and cook for 15-20mins till they’re soft and mashable. Add the broccoli for the final 10-15mins. Once cooked, drain the water and scoop out the broccoli so that you can mash the potatoes with the butter and milk.
- Whilst the potatoes are cooking though, you can get on with the important cheese sauce. Melt the butter in a pan (I used a non-stick saucepan) on a low heat. Gradually add the flour to combine – it’ll start to bubble – and just leave to cook on this low heat for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from the heat and gradually add the reserved milk – stir constantly please as you’ll want this smooth.
- Return the pan to the heat and slowly bring it back up to boiling – continue stirring throughout as the sauce will quickly thicken. Once it’s the consistency of thick custard, take off the heat again and stir in the grated cheese.
- Chop up the broccoli and sweetcorn into little bits, then add to the cheese sauce along with the salmon.
- You can either add the mash and stir in, or blend the whole lot together (the above photo was stirred in).
- Serve up one portion and chill/freeze the rest.
Hopefully your little one will enjoy this as much as we did!